Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Music and Memories

For the past week or so, I've been in a bit of a contemplative mood, partly brought on by music. I've been spending some time tweaking my music collection, making playlists to fit my every mood. When I think back over memories, there is usually a soundtrack playing in my mind.

I love hearing a song and instantly be delivered to a moment....a memory. My daughter humors me with this. I feel like Sophia from "Golden Girls".....I'll say, "picture it....Big Spring, Tx, 1987..."

Then there are songs whose words conjure up an image.... "Later on we'll sit around,
Bellies tight from supper, Telling all them stories That we just can't get enough of, And somewhere in an honest laugh, It'll finally hit me that I'm Home". The first time I heard this Tim McGraw song, I fell in love with it...especially the phrase "somewhere in an honest laugh......". In MY mind....I picture 518 Elm, my dad, uncles, aunts, cousins, sitting around telling and retelling stories. "Honest laugh"? What a perfect description...

Another of my favorites....."If Heaven" sung by Andy Griggs....Written by Gretchen Peters...

"If heaven was an hour, it would be twilight
When the fireflies start their dancin on the lawn
And suppers on the stove, and mammas laughin
And everybodys workin day is done

If heaven was a town it would be my town
On a summer day in 1985
And everything i wanted was out there waitin
And everyone i loved was still alive"

Perfect....when I hear these words I can "feel" the scene....

What songs bring back memories for you?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: