Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Who Knows Ya, Baby?

In a Facebook post the other day, I told one of my friends to give me a blog topic...saying that she knows what goes on in my head more than most.... That got me to thinking....who, in our transient world, knows me the best?

Right off, I will eliminate family. Not because they don't know me, but they shouldn't count. So let's look at friends. I think because i have moved around a lot in my life, I always categorize my friends...there are childhood friends, work friends, school friends, family friends, church friends, photography friends, and my kids' friends' parents... I hope that doesn't sound offensive, the fact that I have categories. I also have what my husband and I refer to as "lifetime friends"...anyone from the other categories can, at anytime, also hold a spot in this category.

If you know me on a friendship level at all, you know certain things about me....I love photography. I am a rule-follower. At least when it comes to some things (I rarely speed and never call in sick when I am not for instance) BUT...I also like to break other rules at times. I do not worry about wearing the latest fashion...I wear the same boring style shoes for a year at a time...day in and day out...(I also claim that funky shoes are my mid-life crisis, which actually breaks my own rule about boring shoes!!). If you tell me I can't, I will sure try to prove you wrong... I don't talk religion or politics, but have a very strong faith and my own opinions of government. I'm a tough mama who hands out very little sympathy to my kids.....but if you cross them ya better watch out...MAMA BEAR CAN GET MAD!! Also....if you haven't noticed, I type as I speak...some pauses, overuse of commas and periods.... (see what I mean) but I am also naturally talented in the area of grammar....I just choose to break those rules.

My two oldest friends (in terms of years known) are twins...a good thing about that is I never have to worry about that friendship "competition" thing....after all...they shared a womb...I just joined them as soon as I could. Ha! Somewhere in this world, we have recordings of us being kids, carrying on about boys and dramas of pre-teen life. These recordings were made in a tent one night during a sleepover. We also have our references that others just would not get...if one of them texts me that they are stressed with life....I just send back "coo-coo pigeon" and KNOW that I made them smile. Star-gazing, hot-dogs, marshmallows over the fence, the Fantasy Van, the clubhouse, coke through the nose, Dirti, Ditzi, Mr. Bubble....there's a story to each of those!! We have our differences at times and we all live too far apart, but they would be there in a minute if I needed them to be.

I'm not a "party gal" kind of girl, AT ALL, so a lot of my friends are made through work, kids' activities, etc.... These friends may not know all of my historical details, but they know my immediate concerns. These are the friends who know my day to day concerns about work, my photography, the days I have energy (they often pray for their own strength when I am hyper), and the days I can barely make it home at night because I am exhausted. They give me rides home when I get sick, they rally around me in daily struggles....sometimes they even make dinner suggestions. They lecture to me when I need it and let me pout when I don't like the lecture I just got. They roll their eyes...which is alright by me...and most of all...they let me be me.

There's a group of us "lifetime friends" that get together as often as possible....friends since childhood, their spouses and children, and even some of our parents....This group started with a group of guys in scouts...in the 70s and 80s. There is such a feeling of belonging when we get together...we hang out at the campfire...tell old stories as well as new....enjoy watching the kids play together....we'll enjoy good food, good laughter and take at least....ohhhh....about 1,000 photos of the weekend. We've had to miss a few years due to some issues of life getting in the way...but I know we'll pick back up again soon.

So...back to the question....who knows me best? I don't have the answer.....but I do know I am blessed to have the friends in my life that I do....old ones, new ones, silly ones, serious ones.....all I ask for are honest ones!!!

Who knows YOU best?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: